Ansonia Public Library's Mosaic Makeover
|The beautiful depiction of the winged horse, Pegasus, and Bellerophon of Greek mythology, is surrounded by a series of geometric designs in red, yellow, white and black stone and even some glass. Photo: courtesy of Ansonia Public Library
The mosaic floor of the Ansonia Public Library’s main entrance on South Cliff Street has a fresh new look, after a restoration project that took place during the summer of 2015.
With the help of a VCF 2015 Needs and Opportunities Grant to support the restoration, the Friends of the Ansonia Library funded the replacement and repair of tiles by John Cavaliere of Lyric Hall Antiques and Conservation. He had previously restored the building’s clock tower and water fountain, located on the front lawn.
The mosaic has been the centerpiece of the entryway since the Library opened in 1890.
Special thanks to Greg Stamos, who also helped support the project with grants from his donor advised funds at VCF. He and his father, Peter Stamos, were in attendance at the re-dedication ceremony held at the Library in October.