Capacity Building Workshops
As part of an ongoing commitment to help strengthen the capacity of nonprofits, the Valley Community Foundation, in partnership with its affiliate The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven, is offering a series of training sessions in 2013 to nonprofits serving Greater New Haven. Topics and dates vary.
Purposeful Boards, Powerful Fundraising
with Chuck V. Loring, MBA, CFRE
It's never been more important for Boards and staff to work together effectively to solicit financial support for your organization. Designed for Board-Staff teams, this practical session addresses the complementary roles Board members play in their organization's governance and resource development.
The session begins with a close look at Board recruitment, structure, operations, and culture, knowing that weak Boards don't raise funds effectively. The second part of the session focuses on how to involve Board members in effective fundraising.
Topics covered in this half-day session will include:
- the stages of Board evolution that impact Board performance and why some nonprofits confuse volunteering with governance
- legal obligations of nonprofit boards and best practices surrounding Board roles and responsibilities and Board recruitment
- how the lack of effective Board structure can kill fundraising
- how successful fundraising is not about asking for money
- periodic fundraising exercises you can do with your Board
- how to get your Board to articulate your organization's value to the community
- how every single willing Board member can be a great fundraiser
To maximize the benefit of this session, each organization must have the Executive Director and at least two Board members in attendance. Additional participants are encouraged to join the group. Having staff and Board members from the same organization attend as a team will enhance the experience.
Other Upcoming 2013 Workshops
Social Media Marketing
Data Collection and Evaluation
Learn more and register for the workshops here or contact Valerie Knight-DiGangi at email@example.com.