What is a Donor Advised Fund?
Opening a Donor Advised Fund allows you or your family to make a gift to the Valley Community Foundation, then remain actively involved in suggesting uses for your gift.
How it Works
- You make a gift to the Valley Community Foundation - you can give cash, appreciated stocks, real estate, or other assets.
- We set up a special fund in your name, in the name of your family or business, or in honor of any person or organization you choose.
- You receive tax benefits in the year you make your gift.
- You recommend uses for the fund - working with our professional staff to support the causes and organizations you care about most.
- Your recommendations are presented to The Foundation's board for approval.
- We handle all the administrative details and issue grants to charities in the name of the fund you establish (if you prefer, grants can be made anonymously).
- Your gift can be placed into an endowment that is invested over time. Earnings from your fund are used to make grants addressing community needs. Your gift - and all future earnings from your gift - is a permanent source of community capital, helping to do good work forever.
- You have access to Donor Central™, a password protected web based Site where you can view your fund's activity, your fund balance, make grant recommendations electronically or print your fund summary.
Donor Advised funds are convenient, flexible tools for individuals, families, businesses, or groups that want to be personally involved in suggesting grant awards made possible by their gifts. If you have a range of community interests, you may find that it’s an ideal vehicle for fulfilling your charitable wishes.
Donor Advised funds are typically less costly and easier to administer than other forms of philanthropic giving (such as family or corporate foundations). Your gift can be combined with others to increase its impact, and you can add to the fund you establish at any time, receiving tax benefits with each new gift. You can establish a fund today and make grant recommendations now or in the future. And if you endow your gift, it becomes a permanent community funding resource.
The Valley Community Foundation provides a simple, powerful, and highly personal approach to giving. We offer a variety of giving tools to help you achieve your charitable goals.
You can make a gift of cash, stocks, bonds, real estate, or other assets. Most charitable gifts qualify for maximum tax advantage under federal law. For more information and ideas on ways to integrate your financial planning with charitable giving, ask your financial advisor or contact Sharon Closius at email@example.com